Friday, June 5, 2009

Conference Call


Cellular and wireless technology is so under-utilized in a traditional office environment. Working remotely is the most motivating activity that I have so far undertaken. It is even more effective here than it was in New York because my connection speeds are low enough in Liberia that I have to carefully select what pages I choose to load--none of them can contain audio or video clips. In combination with the constant sound and appearance of waves to my immediate left (see next photo), I feel medicated against the scattered attention and obsessive information gathering/web activity that shredded my New York working hours.


An uncharacteristicly small and disorganized close-out breaks onto the urchin-populated rock reef on the other side of the home office's barred door. Though the constant titillation of audible waves can be maddening and cause me to get incredibly antsy and hyper, I think that, on balance, it has a calming and focusing effect--especially since I know that surf is not in scarce supply. The immediate disappearance of East Coast waves seems capable of generating especially addictive and compulsive attitudes for local surfers. I'm glad to be relaxing in a bountiful place.

This weekend, we'll start engaging with the community in Robertsport to see what ambitions they have for local NGO activity. The only pressure I hope to apply pertains to beach clean-up and recycling. Beyond that, this could turn into a meeting about digging wells just as easily as it could discuss chicken farming or mentoring programs.

Our anticipated seven foot swell has dropped off a bit more rapidly than expected--I can't seem to do better than virtual buoys and surf reports for the Ivory Coast when trying to predict our own conditions, which, naturally, causes some inaccurate forecasts. Our mechanic's custody of the new vehicle has kept me dry for the last two days, in the face of tempting waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment